WILLEMSTAD – The oldest operational hotel on the island, the elegant Avila Beach Hotel, celebrated its seventieth anniversary today. During the day, there was a celebration for hotel guests and employees. In the evening, there was a special celebration for invited guests. The celebration consisted of art, culture, and of course also had culinary aspects, which were all very fitting with the Avila Beach Hotel’s character.
Approximately 250 guests were treated to musical performances by the Blues “house band” consisting of Hershel Rosario & Friends with Tamara Nivillac. Iljah Huang provided a classical touch, and Trio Ekis completed the Curaçao party. There was also a special Avila then & now exhibition, and there were fireworks. The culinary aspect did not disappoint, with snacks from The Pen’s new “From Farm to Fork” restaurant concept.
“Hotel Avila”, named after the medieval town in Spain where Doctor Pieter Hendrik “Gungu” Maal spent his holidays as a child, and of which he had fond memories, opened its doors on February 1st, 1949, and consisted of just 18 beds. Now, seventy years later, the Avila Beach Hotel consists of 150 hotel rooms, 11 apartments, and 5 restaurants and bars. The original building, the Belle Alliance (which now houses the main entrance, lobby, and spa), was called “The Pen” by English Governors, and was built around 1780. This section was recently completely refurbished, this was done specially for Avila’s seventieth anniversary.
Special collectors’ items have also been developed. There is a special Avila calendar, history book, Avila 70 magazine, and bird hotel, which are all available in the Avila Shop. Special events will take place throughout the year to celebrate this special anniversary.