Description & Requirements
At Dolphin Academy we emphasize care and genuine interaction between humans and dolphins. Dolphin Academy provides a variety of unforgettable experiences that are tailored for different age categories, but always includes educational context so that our guests can understand and appreciate the importance of protecting dolphins worldwide and their environment. Together with the Curacao Public Aquarium N.V. and Substation Curacao, they form a fascinating world of diverse marine organisms and ecospheres just waiting for you to come and explore.
• Establish and implement a comprehensive preventative medical program for the care of the dolphins.
• Coordinate the management of clinical medical cases including diagnoses, prognoses, treatments, and post-mortem examinations.
• Support the development of an accessible and organized medical records system.
• Provide timely reports reflecting the health status of the animals to curators and other appropriate staff.
• Manage activities to assure good communication and responsible management of resources while providing a high level of service which includes strategic planning and financial management.
• Aides the Marine Mammal staff with the daily husbandry of our marine mammal animal group (Coastal Bottlenose Dolphins)
• Manages daily animal diets and dispenses vitamins in collaboration with the trainer staff.
• Provides secondary assistance in the training of behaviors under the guidance of experienced staff members.
• Assists in daily animal observations.
• Maintains all marine animal and related records.
• Responsible for the hygienic and safety protocols of all animal and back-up areas.
• Responsible for observing behavior training within a learning capacity.
• Develops basic understanding and application of operant conditioning techniques and terminology.
• Will participate in back-up and primary roles for public presentations.
𝗦𝗸𝗶𝗹𝗹𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗾𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from an accredited university.
• Minimum of 5 years working as a Veterinarian (Preferably including experience with marine mammals)
• Must have licenses to practice veterinary medicine and dispense controlled medications.
• Proven ability to thrive in a high paced work environment with multiple priorities.
• Proven success in the ability to create and manage a supportive and positive team environment.
• Proves the ability to manage a diverse and large collection of marine mammals.
• Experience as a collaborative, cross-functional team player, comfortable partnering with a variety of teams;
Self-confident, self-motivated, self-starter, flexible, energetic, results-oriented and success driven;
• Good knowledge in English and preferably Dutch, Spanish and or Papiamentu;
• Genuine interest in animals.
• Dutch, US or Curaçao citizen is considered a plus.